Quarantining with St Giles
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the following travel restrictions are in place for the UK and Canada:
UK: from Friday 10th July, travel corridors will allow students from many countries to arrive in the UK and not need to self-isolate. You can see the full list of exempt countries here, and this list will be updated regularly. Students from countries not on the list will still be required to quarantine for 14 days. All arrivals to the UK will need to fill in a passenger locator form. You can find out more about what you will need to do before you arrive on the English UK website.
Canada: currently, foreign nationals cannot enter Canada until 31st August 2020. Once the restrictions have been lifted, students arriving before 31st August at least will need to self-isolate for 14 days upon their arrival. All students arriving in Vancouver will be required to fill in a Checklist and Quarantine Plan template, and send this to email@example.com before arriving and present these documents at the border.
Many of our students, therefore, will be able to come and study at one of our schools once they reopen, but they may need to self-isolate for the first two weeks of their course.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have to quarantine on arrival to study with St Giles, then you will be able to do so and still make the most of your time with us! We have prepared the guidance below to explain how.
Before you arrive:
- - You will be asked to take an online level test, including an online speaking test with a teacher, so we know your level in advance
- - Our team of registrars will be able to provide you with helpful guidance on the current restrictions in the country you are studying in
Travelling from the airport:
- - If at all possible, it is required that you avoid public transport if you have to self-isolate on arrival, and therefore you should arrange an airport transfer through St Giles, unless you have family picking you up
Your first two weeks:
- - You will be able to start your course whilst in self-isolation with Zoom online lessons at St Giles Live, to kick-start your English language learning
- - You will also be able to join any of our online social activities, which is a great way for you to get to know other students and even meet some of our teachers
- - Before you join us in school, you will have an online meeting with your new teacher, to get to know them and find out more about your new class
- - If you have any issues or concerns, you will be able to arrange an online meeting with our academic staff for lesson queries or our welfare team for any other problems, and they will be happy to help
Staying in a homestay:
Meet some of our wonderful host families who can't wait to welcome you in our video.
- - If you have booked to stay in homestay accommodation, our host families will be happy to welcome you into their homes!
- - Your meals will be provided whilst you are in self-isolation, and the host family will be able to do any shopping as needed. If you have booked half-board homestay, there will be an additional charge of £35/$35 per week, for full-board, including lunches. If you are under 18 and studying in the UK or are studying in Vancouver, you will have to choose this option if you need to self-isolate. If you are over 18 and studying in the UK, we would highly recommend this option, as if you will require help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, you should ask friends, your host family or order a delivery.
- - You will be able to spend time at home with your host family, practising English at home and getting to know English customs, while adjusting to life in the UK or Canada
- - We are providing guidance to host families on keeping students and themselves safe
Staying in a residence:
- - If you have booked to stay in one of our residences, we have been working closely with our residences and we are confident that everything is in place to allow students to self-isolate there safely
- - Before you arrive, you will be told about the system in place to make sure you have the supplies and meals needed, as it varies at each residence
Please note, St Giles International is not responsible for any additional costs incurred as a result of needing to self-isolate. See our full terms and conditions here.