• English
    • English(English)
    • Arabic(العربية)
    • French(Français)
    • German(Deutsche)
    • Italian(Italiano)
    • Japanese(日本語)
    • Korean(한국어)
    • Portuguese(Português)
    • Russian(Pусский)
    • Simplified Chinese(简体中文)
    • Traditional Chinese(繁體中文)
    • Spanish(Español)
    • Türkçe(Türkçe)
Student Visa Information


Student Visa Applications

If you want to study at one of our centres in the UK or Canada, you may need to apply for a visa. We will provide you with all the support you need if you require a visa.

  • Our UK Centres are licensed by UKVI to issue documents to assist your application
  • As a member of Languages Canada, St Giles Vancouver is able to provide documents to support your Canadian visa application


The UK government is working to ensure that there are no or very few changes to the way that EU/EEA and Swiss nationals enter the UK after Brexit until the end of 2020.

If the UK leaves the EU with an agreement, students will not notice any difference to the way they currently enter the UK. This will remain the case until 31 December 2020. During that time students will be able to work and study as now.

If the UK leaves the EU without an agreement, EU/EEA and Swiss nationals will still enter the UK as they do now. The biggest difference is that if they plan to stay for more than six months, they will need to apply for permission to remain (European Leave to Remain). This would allow them to stay for up to three years. 

There will be a new immigration system from January 2021 for all visitors. You can find more information on what Brexit will mean for EU nationals here.

 From October 1st 2021, EU, EE and Swiss nationals will require a passport to travel to the UK

You can review our latest student visa update here.

UK Student Visas

If you are coming to study in the UK and are a visa national, you will need to apply for a student visa. There are three main types of student visas available:

  • Standard Visitor Visa (for courses up to 6 months) - For children and adults undertaking short courses including English language
  • Short-Term Student Visa (for courses up to 11 months) - For adults (plus students aged 16 and 17) undertaking English language courses for up to 11 months

You can find out more about these visas on the UK Gov website.

If you are aged under 18, you will also need to complete a Parental Travel Consent Form. This can also be downloaded below, for your college of choice:

UK centres: It is a requirement of Student Visas that students attend at least 80% of their course.  St Giles is required to inform authorities of students persistently below this percentage, and your course will be cancelled if attendance doesn’t improve.  This would also end your right to be in the country on a student visa. If your student visa is cancelled and you are asked to leave the country, you may not be able to return. 


Canadian Student Visas

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) advises international students to prepare for their trip to study in Canada by reviewing Canada's entry requirements and applying as soon as possible for their study permit. This will help minimize stress and ensure a smooth experience for students travelling to Canada.

St Giles Vancouver is a member of Languages Canada. Languages Canada is recognised by Canadian Immigration and as such St Giles Vancouver can issue documents to support visa applications. You can download our Guide to Canadian Visas to help if you want to study at St Giles Vancouver.

St Giles Vancouver: it is a government visa requirement that students must show they are actively reviewing their studies and attendance certificates from the school may be withheld should students not meet our minimum expected standard of attendance (80% of your lessons).

If you have any questions about visa applications, please do not hesitate to contact us.