study English in Canada with St Giles
Destinations June 29, 2023 by

St Giles

Travelling to Canada to Study English – A Complete Guide

Enrolling in a course to study English abroad is a big step towards your educational and professional development. To help make things easier, we’ve prepared this guide for you before your big move to study English in Canada.  

Travelling to Canada to Study English 

Depending on where you are travelling from, you might need a study permit or a student visa before you can visit Canada. Please review the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) guidelines.

Before applying for a student visa, you must have an offer from a designated Canadian learning institute. Including, any school, university, or college, offering the course you are interested in studying.

Gaining a Study Permit 

An international student is any student who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Most international students will require a study permit to study in Canada. Listed below are the things you need alongside your acceptance letter to obtain a study permit:  

Proof of Adequate Funds. 

You must show evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fee and living expenses. You must also show that you have a return travel when your course ends.

These can be bank statements, scholarships, sponsorships, or any other funding source showing you have the required money to stay in Canada.  

This expense includes any family members who may accompany you to Canada. 

You are a law-abiding Citizen. 

Proof that you are a law-abiding citizen, able to obey Canadian laws. This also means you have no criminal record and can get a police certificate if required.  

What is a police certificate? – this is a certified statement that you don’t have a criminal record or, if you have one, a copy of your criminal record. This will confirm whether you can enter Canada.  

Medical Insurance 

Having medical insurance is mandatory for all international students. Though some provinces do offer provincial health coverage to international students, others will require you to have private health insurance to cover the duration of your course and stay in Canada.  

You must ensure that you have completely understood the health insurance requirements of the province where you’ll be studying and have arranged the coverage before your arrival.  

Proof of Good Health. 

Depending on the length of your stay or country of origin, you may be asked to undergo a medical examination. This ensures that you do not pose a public health risk to Canada.  

Approved panel physicians will conduct these health examinations and include physical examinations, medical history reviews, and necessary tests or vaccinations.  

Immigration Documents. 

With your study permit/student visa, you will also need a valid passport and travel documents to enter Canada. You must ensure that your passport is valid for the entire length of your planned stay.  

If asked, you will also need to provide any additional immigration documents requested by the Canadian government, such as photographs, biometric data, and supporting documents during your study permit application process.  

You must stay updated with all the latest information and requirements from the IRCC and your chosen educational institute. You should start applying for your study permit as soon as you receive your official acceptance offer to ensure sufficient time to gather documents, complete necessary forms, and gain the required approvals.  

Studying at St Giles Vancouver 

studying abroad at St Giles Vancouver

St Giles Vancouver is a member of Languages Canada and is recognised by Canadian Immigration. This allows us to issue documents supporting visa applications for students accepted into our English language courses. 

If you are applying for a visa to study at St Giles, you will need our Designation Number: 019395299510.  

It is also important to note that the Canadian government’s visa requirements include students actively participating in their studies. Therefore, students must meet the minimum 80% attendance rate; otherwise, attendance certificates may be withheld.  

Ready to live and study the English language in Canada? Our Vancouver school offers a range of English Courses designed for all levels of understanding, from Beginner courses to Business English and English for University Studies.  

Book your course today to start your journey to learning English.